A 6-year-old Virginia boy who shot his first-grade teacher last month allegedly strangled another teacher, according to a legal notice filed by the injured teacher’s lawyer.
The boy allegedly cursed at staff and tried to whip students with his belt, according to a notice filed by teacher Abby Zurner and sent to the Newport News School District.
A notice from Zwerner’s attorney, Diane Toscano, notified the district that Zwerner intended to sue. The Associated Press said it obtained notice of the claim through a public records request.
The AP reported that the notice outlined the behavior problems the boy faced at Richank Elementary School.
Virginia teacher’s emails reveal ‘behavioral problems’ with 6-year-old who shot her: report
Two days before the shooting, the notice of claim said the boy allegedly “slammed” Zwerner’s cell phone and broke it. After she was given a one-day suspension, he allegedly returned to her class and used a 9mm handgun to shoot her as she sat at a reading desk.
The choking incident was confirmed to The Associated Press by the teacher, who said the boy had come up behind her in 2021, locked his arms around her neck before a teaching assistant pulled her away. If he succeeded in removing it, he was repulsed. .
Virginia school where 6-year-old teacher shot reopens with metal detectors, upgraded security
“I didn’t feel safe the rest of the year because I knew if they didn’t protect me when he choked me and I couldn’t breathe, he would kill me, my children or my colleagues. “Wouldn’t protect if he did something. Not that harmful,” she said, adding that the incident was reported to administrators. The teacher requested anonymity because she fears possible retaliation from the school district.
The boy was later transferred to another class in another school. After the shooting, police said he was taken to a medical facility where he is receiving unspecified services.
Toscano’s notice also fleshed out Zwerner Allegations of negligence on Richneck on Jan. 6, including a timeline detailing how she and others raised concerns about the boy’s possession of a gun.
Lynn Wallen, director of legal services for the school system, said in an email to the AP that it’s standard practice for school divisions to send notices of intent to sue to their insurers, which would cover such lawsuits. Joey does.
A request for comment from the school system was not immediately returned.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
Read full article here