Gov. Andrew Cuomo repeatedly laid siege to his Manhattan office with lawyers this weekend to prepare for sexual assault allegations against his current and former female colleagues, according to a Friday report.
The Albany Times union said Cuomo spent several days preparing for Saturday’s questioning by outside attorneys hired by state Attorney General Letitia James.
The Times union, citing unnamed sources, said the three-term Democrat is expected to be placed under oath before responding.
The move would expose Cuomo to potential perjury charges if he was knowingly making false statements.
Zeldin beats Cuomo in NY GUBERNATORIAL fundraising battle
The details of the high-stakes showdown in Albany are unclear, including where and when it will take place and whether there is a time limit for the inquiry.
James hired former Manhattan U.S. Attorney Jun Kim and prominent employment-discrimination attorney Anne Clarke to conduct an independent investigation as part of a settlement with Cuomo’s office.
The New York Times reported Thursday that James is expected to release a report on the findings of the investigation before the end of the summer.
In addition to the AG’s investigation, federal officials are investigating Cuomo’s handling of the nursing home during the COVID-19 pandemic – including the total number of resident deaths by his administration – as well as the governor’s Also included is a $5.1 million deal for the coronavirus memoir.
The state legislature’s judiciary committee is also conducting a comprehensive impeachment inquiry and last month unanimously voted to begin issuing summons to witnesses for questioning under oath.
When asked to comment on the Times Union report, Cuomo spokesman Rich Azzopardi revisited a statement from Thursday, saying, “We have repeatedly said that the governor will not comment on this review until then.” Unless they have cooperated, but the continuing leaks are more evidence. The attorney general’s review of the transparent political motivation.”
Cuomo – which is raising money for an expected re-election bid next year – has repeatedly denied any misconduct.