Microsoft has made a 10-year commitment to bring the Call of Duty title to Nintendo platforms, said Phil Spencer, CEO of Microsoft Gaming. Post on Twitter on Wednesday.
The deal will bring the popular first-person shooter series from Activision Blizzard to Nintendo game consoles for the first time.
The announcement comes after Microsoft’s $69 billion acquisition of the “Call of Duty” maker sparked concerns among regulators that the deal could stifle competition, with rival Sony Group criticizing the deal and even called for a veto of the regulation.
Microsoft President Brad Smith tweeted: “Our acquisition will bring Call of Duty to more players and more platforms than ever before… If @Sony wants to sit down and talk every day, we’re 10 for PlayStation We will be happy to sign an annual contract. also”
Earlier this year, Sony’s head of games Jim Ryan called Microsoft’s offer to keep the Call of Duty series on PlayStation for three years “inadequate” after the current deal.
“I think this is an attempt by Microsoft to put pressure on Sony to sign the deal with Activision and to make it easier for Microsoft to finish and close the deal with Activision,” said Serkan Toto, founder of Kantan Games, a consulting firm.
“It’s basically good PR for Microsoft.”
Sony officials were not immediately available for comment.
Microsoft competes with Sony and Nintendo in the global video game industry, which has seen strong growth in recent years as more time is spent at home due to the coronavirus pandemic.
Sony shares fell 1.3 percent.