Missouri man executed for murdering his girlfriend and her three kids

A Missouri man was executed Tuesday night for killing his girlfriend and her three young children in 2004 — after he said he was looking forward to what he called a “meeting” of death. .

Raheem Taylor, 58, was pronounced dead at 6:16 p.m. after receiving a lethal injection at the Eastern Reception, Diagnostic and Correctional Center in Bonne Terre. The Missouri Department of Corrections told UPI.

“Muslims do not die. We live on forever in the hearts of our family and friends,” he said in a final statement. “We have come from Allah and to Allah we all must return.”

“Everyone will have their turn to die. Death is not your enemy, it is your destiny. Wait to meet it. Peace!” he added.

Taylor, formerly known as Leonard, kicked his feet as 5 grams of pentobarbital were administered, then took several deep breaths before moving.

He has long claimed he was in California when Angela Rowe, her daughters Alexis Conley, 10, and Akaria Conley, 6, and son Tyrese Conley, 5, were killed in 2004.

Taylor’s supporters included the national NAACP, numerous civil rights and religious groups, and the Midwest Innocence Project — but his claims of innocence were repeatedly dismissed.

Last week, Democratic St. Louis County Prosecuting Attorney Wesley Bell denied Taylor’s request for a hearing before a judge, saying “the facts do not exist to support a credible case of innocence.”

On Monday, the Missouri Supreme Court rejected a request for an injunction and Republican Gov. Mike Parsons refused to grant a pardon.

After the execution, Angela’s sister Jervan Rowe said she was still struggling with the loss.

“I’m at a point in my life right now — I’m fine but I’m not,” she said. “But I know justice has been served. It’s hard trying to move on, but I think I can do it.”

Taylor, who lived with Angela Rowe and the children in the St. Louis suburb of Jennings, boarded a flight to California on November 26, 2004.

On December 3 that year, police were sent to the home after distraught relatives said they had not heard from Angela, who was found dead with her children. All four were shot.

A medical examiner initially found that the killings likely occurred within days of the discovery of the bodies — while Taylor was in California.

But during the trial, medical examiner Philip Birch said the murders could have taken place two or three weeks before the bodies were found.

Taylor’s attorney Kent Gipson said Angela was seen alive by several people in the days after Taylor left St. Louis.

Meanwhile, Taylor’s daughter, Deja Taylor, in California claimed that she and her father called Angela and a child during their visit.

But Bob McCulloch, who was the elected St. Louis County prosecutor at the time of the killings, said Taylor’s claim of innocence was “nonsense” and that the alleged alibis was “totally made up.”

Taylor was the third Missouri inmate since November at the state prison in Bonne Terre.

With post wires

Read full article here

Related Articles

Latest Posts