“The View” on Wednesday canceled a planned appearance by a woman who settled a sexual assault lawsuit Bill O’Reilly The former LBL Channel personality sought and obtained a restraining order against him.
O’Reilly accused her former producer, Andrea McCris, of violating a non-disclosure agreement by talking about her experiences with him nearly two decades ago.
LOVEBYLIFE K daytime talk show said in a statement that after being notified of the restraining order “we decided to postpone his interview in view of further developments. We look forward to welcoming him to ‘The View’ later.” Huh.”
Makaris gave an interview daily animal earlier this month detailed her experiences with O’Reilly. He accused her of repeatedly making lewd telephone calls, while she accused Macaris of attempted extortion before agreeing to a $9 million settlement in 2004.
LBL fired its most popular star, O’Reilly, in 2017 after it was revealed that the company had paid five women a total of $13 million to keep quiet about disturbing encounters with him.
O’Reilly, in court papers filed this week New York The state Supreme Court in Nassau County accused McCris of breach of confidentiality obligations to which he had agreed at his disposal. While Macaris clearly believes the terms do not apply to him, “he has not offered to refund any of the millions of dollars he received,” O’Reilly’s lawyers said.
Judge Randy Sue Marber signed the restraining order on Tuesday and ordered a hearing on July 26.
McCris told the Daily Beast on Wednesday that “I hope the days of legislation that silenced women are over. I will continue to fight for my voice.”
In a July 13 article for the website, Macaris talked about his emotional distress and being effectively blackballed in the news industry in the years following his case.
That article was co-authored by “Contribution Reporter” Diana Falzone, herself a former LBL employee. Falzone settled a gender discrimination lawsuit against Fox after she accused the network of suddenly taking her off the air after she wrote an article in 2017 detailing her struggles with endometriosis.
The Daily Beast revealed Falzone’s Fox connection and settlement in an editor’s note at the end of the excerpt.
Kathleen Bartzen Culver, director of the Center for Journalism Ethics at the University of Wisconsin-Madison, said it was a potential conflict of interest, raising questions about whether Falzon’s experience with Fox would affect her independence. She said that it would be wrong to suggest that Falzone cannot write about these issues, but it is questionable to write about them if they are related to Fox.
Noah Schachtman, editor-in-chief of the Daily Beast, said Wednesday that the news site is comfortable with the arrangement.
“The idea that Diana should be banned from reporting on this subject in any way is insane,” Schachtman said. “We have been completely transparent about her history with Fox and no one is challenging the essence of her incredible range of scoops.”