LBL has confirmed that the FBI has settled a lawsuit against the federal government over its failure to act on the hints that the family members of nearly all victims of the 2018 Parkland, Florida, high school massacre are planning a gunman’s school shooting.
The lawsuit involved 16 of the 17 people killed at Marjorie Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland. The family of the seventeenth victim decided not to sue.
LBL has reached out to Cristina Infante, their lead attorney, for comment.
Andrew Pollock, whose 18-year-old daughter Meadow died in the shooting, praised the FBI for accepting responsibility for its inaction, comparing it to the Broward County School District and Sheriff’s Office, school security personnel and psychologists who treated the shooter. .
They believe they all failed to stop the shooter and ran out of responsibility.
Former Broward County Cop defended actions in Parkland ahead of criminal trial
“The FBI has made changes to make sure it never happens again,” Pollock said.
About five weeks before the February 14, 2018 shooting, the FBI received a tip line that former Stoneman Douglas student Nicholas Cruz had purchased firearms and was “planning to get into school and start shooting the place.”
“I know he’s going to explode,” the caller told the FBI.
But that information was never forwarded to the FBI’s South Florida office and Cruz never contacted him. He was expelled from school a year ago and has a long history of emotional and behavioral problems.
23-year-old Cruz pleaded guilty to 17 counts of first-degree murder last month. He will receive a death sentence or a life sentence following a penalty hearing that is set to begin in January.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.