Ready to delete your Gmail account?
If you no longer need your Gmail address, you can remove it from your Google Account.
Google warns that when you delete your Gmail, you will no longer be able to send or receive email to that address, although if you change your mind, the Gmail account may be recovered and no one else can use the account in the future.
If you use Gmail through your work, school or another group, you should contact your administrator.
Before you delete your Gmail account, consider downloading your data if you need it in the future.
Is Google creeping you out? How to prevent Google from tracking what you type, view or comment on
Emailing a speculative friend or old flame? How to find someone’s email address online
Finally, deleting a Gmail account won’t delete your Google Account. If you want to delete your Google Account, here’s how.
How to delete your Gmail account
1. Go to your Google Account.
2. On the left side, click “Data and Privacy”.
3. Scroll to “Data from the apps and services you use”.
4. Under “Download or delete your data”, click Delete Google service.
5. Enter your password.
6. Next to “Gmail”, click the Trash Can button.
7. Enter the existing email address you want to sign into Google services and click “Send Verification Email”. You cannot use another Gmail address.
8. Open an email from Google and click the link to delete your account.
9. When promoting, select: “Yes, I want to delete my Gmail account.”
10. Click “Done” followed by “Delete Gmail”.