WASHINGTON – A group of supporters of former President Donald Trump is investigating an attack on the Capitol on January 6 by the House Select Committee that announced five new targets Monday for subpoenas.
The new batch organizers and “Stop the Steel” rallies and focus on funding the movement before the attacks on January 6, including months leading up to the riots.
Among those announced were Roger Stone, a political activist who interrupted the Russian intervention in the 2016 election and was later pardoned by Trump.
Bannon was indicted. Meadows is no show, more subpoenas: Here’s what happened this week in the Jan. 6 investigation
According to the committee, Stone, a longtime political adviser to Trump and others, is being subpoenaed for his activities in connection with the events surrounding him and the 6th.
Stone “spoke at rallies on Jan. 5 and was scheduled to speak at the Jan. 6 rally in Ellips, directly ahead of the violent attacks on the Capitol,” committee members wrote in a statement. While in DC, he “used members of the Protectorate as personal security guards, one of whom has been indicted for his involvement in the attack on the Capitol.
First, they “promoted their attendance at rallies and sought support for security through the website stopthesteal.org,” the committee said.
In September, Stone was awarded a Capital Riot lawsuit during a live chat on a radio show. The lawsuit was brought in August by a group of Capital Police officers who sued Trump, his campaign and other organizers of the Stop the Steel movement.
More:Roger Stone served with the Capital Riot lawsuit on Jan. 6 during a live radio interview
Stone was convicted of obstructing the investigation by special counsel Robert Mueller on Russian interference in the 2016 election and lied to Congress. He is among a half dozen Trump associates indicted in the Russia investigation. Trump reduced Stone’s sentence days before he was reported to prison and later pardoned him.
InfoWorks host and right-wing media commentator Alex Jones is giving the panel a sub.
More:Infowars’ Alex Jones is responsible for Sandy Hook ‘Hawks’ lawsuits, families have to pay
The committee reportedly “helped Jones organize a rally on January 6 in Ellipse, which immediately preceded the attack on the Capitol, including providing a donation to what he described as ‘twenty percent’ of the money.”
He noted Jones’ speech at a rally the previous day, where Jones told the audience, “We have started to oppose globalists. We started our fight against their atrocities. They have tried to steal this election before everyone else.
“I don’t know how it ends, but if they want to fight, they believe they’ve got one,” Jones said according to the video that night.
Jones said the White House had been told to lead a parade for the Capitol.
He noted that he had “repeatedly campaigned for unsupported election fraud, including encouraging individuals to participate in the Ellipse rally on January 6 and to suggest that they had knowledge of the former president’s plans for the rally.”
Jones, known for promoting conspiracy theories, must pay damages to the families of the victims of the Sandy Hook school massacre for unsupported claims that the shooting was a “giant fraud” after a court last week found him liable for defamation.
Other individuals filed Monday include:
- Taylor Budovich Trump was a senior adviser for the 2020 campaign. According to the committee, they are “seeking a 501c (4) organization to run a social media and radio advertising campaign that encourages attendance at the January 6th Ellipse Rally.” He is Trump’s current spokesman.
- Dustin Stockton He was a rally campaigner who helped organize the rallies after the 2020 election, including the January 6 rally. The committee noted, “Stockton reports that a rally in the Ellipse will lead to a rally for the Capitol, which he said is ‘a potential danger’.
- Jennifer Lawrence It is reported that after the November 2020 election, it was involved in organizing rallies before the attack on the Capitol on January 6th.
“The Select Committee is looking for information on rallies and subsequent marches to the Capitol, which has escalated into a violent group that attacks the Capitol and threatens our democracy,” Committee Chairman Benny Thompson, D-Miss., Said in a statement. “We need it. Learn who organized, planned, paid and received the funds for those events, and what the communications organizers had with the White House and Congress.
Lawrence and Stockton, formerly a reporter at Breitbart – a former Trump adviser to the right-wing media company led by Steve Bannon, recently rejected congressional rejections for refusing to participate in the January 6 selection committee.
More:The Jan. 6 committee will vote to reject Bannon. Here’s what we know
The committee has now subdivided at least 40 individuals and organizations in connection with the January 6 attacks.
Contributors: Bart Jansen, Donovan Slack,